NJ surfer dies of 'brain-eating amoeba'

Ben Davidson
October 1, 2018

A surf resort in Waco, Texas, has closed temporarily a week after a surfer contracted Naegleria fowleri, known as brain-eating amoeba.

A New Jersey man died after contracting a "brain-eating" amoeba called Naegleria fowleri, according to news reports.

Fabrizio Stabile came down with a "severe headache" while mowing his lawn in Ventnor, NJ., on September 16.

29 year old Stabile fell ill after surfing in the pool, and was taken to Atlantic City Medical City with a fever and brain inflammation.

Doctors determined he had been infected by Naegleria fowleri - commonly known as the "brain-eating amoeba" - which has a fatality rate of 97 percent.

The Center for Disease Control (CDC) is now investigating the case and BSR has voluntarily ceased operation until conclusive results are available.

Park owner Stuart Parsons told the Waco Tribune-Herald that the facility closed for testing Friday, and that Stabile had only used its wave pool during his visit at an unspecified date. As the diseases continues to attack the body it can lead to a stiff neck, confusion, lack of attention to people and surroundings, loss of balance, seizures and hallucinations.

Indian army fires at AJK premier’s copter near LoC
The copter immediately retreated after the intrusion of airspace was retaliated by the Indian Army. Khan, the Kashmir leader, said his helicopter was not armed in any way, and called for calm heads.

Hurricane heads for Baja, southwest US
Croix and Puerto Rico, which was badly damaged by Hurricane Maria a year ago and is still recovering from the storm. Sergio had winds of 60 mph Sunday morning and it was centered about 480 miles south of Manzanillo, Mexico.

Trump says FBI has 'free rein' in Kavanaugh investigation
In dueling appearances last Thursday, he and Ford told their stories during sworn testimony before the Judiciary Committee. Ramirez and she has agreed to cooperate with their investigation", Boulder attorney John Clune said on Twitter.

He died five days later and tested positive for Naegleria fowleri the day before his death, his family said.

Officials with the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention are testing the Waco surf resort's water for Naegleria fowleri, KBTX reported.

Fabrizio Stabile, 29 died just one day after he was diagnosed with Naegleria fowleri, according to a GoFundMe page created by his family. "BSR Surf Resort operates a state-of-the-art artificial man-made wave".

Stabile's obituary remembers him as "an avid outdoorsman".

Infection typically occurs when people go swimming or diving in warm freshwater places, like lakes and rivers. Parsons added that his park follows all CDC "guidelines and recommendations concerning Naegleria fowleri".

"Preliminary testing results should be ready later this week".

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER